It’s been a few years since our last article on the top wine countries of the world. The most recent statistics on the top wine producing countries will astound you. For instance, did you know that China is now in the top 5?
Top Wine Producing Countries (2012)
Top Wine Countries
- United States
- South Africa
- New Zealand
Statistics from wineinstitute.org
Weird facts about the world of wine
- We make enough wine to feed the world a gallon of wine every year.
- Cabernet Sauvignon is the top wine variety in the world.
- California makes almost 90% of the wine in the United States.
- The United States drinks 15% more wine per capita than we did in the 2000s. Yay.
- China’s wine production grew by 50% in 5 years and moved into the top 5. Whoa dude.
- Italy surpassed France for #1 place due to foul weather that reduced the crop size in France.
- Spain technically has more vineyards than any other country. Vineyards are spread out due to irrigation laws.
- The Russian Annex of Crimea from Feb. 23–March 19, 2014 occurred in Ukraine’s most important wine region.
- Canada makes less wine than Mexico They are 32nd place and 25th place respectively.